2010-08-24

Social networking sites: friends or foes?




In an article in a Dutch newspaper of July of this year (Nederlands Dagblad, July 22, 2010), several large companies spoke out against free use of social networking websites among their personnel. Big names such as IBM and Imtech were named, among others, as attempting to construct a social networking policy for anyone working for them. Not just in regards to using social networking websites while at work, but also to explore the possibility of policing the profiles employees create on such websites. In essence, certain companies are openly wondering: "what kind of profile fits our company and can we make an employee adjust their personal profile on website X when it doesn't meet our standards?"

Apparently they are not the only ones trying to figure this out. A simple Google search for "social networking policy" renders over ninty-one thousand results. Some are more relevant than others, but all together they show that this is definitely becoming somewhat of a hot topic.

Here's the problem with companies restricting their employees in their movement on social networking websites: the continuing trend is for companies to actually use social networking websites to their own advantages a lot of the time. Think of all the direct, personalized advertisements that can be (and are!) created and pushed on visitors of these websites. The information put on (semi-)public profiles on these websites is extremely valuable to many companies these days.

That is not all though: nowadays more and more companies appear to use social networking websites to screen their applicants. Even back in 2008, one in five managers said they used social networking websites to screen applicants; a third even going as far as to dismiss candidates after what they find online isn't what they were hoping for (Reuters, September 11, 2008).

So now they want to take the trend even further, and not only screen your online presence before you come in, but then continue to monitor your profiles on social networking websites. One can only assume it will be to see if you don't upload or write anything your boss might not like.

In a small poll (filled in by seven people at time of writing) on this very website, one person says they only lock photos they upload and one says they don't lock anything at all on any social networking profiles they might have. As far as Twitter goes, five out of seven people admit they do not lock the little messages away only to be seen by friends they decide to add. Any drunken messages, any rants at (former) employers and any pictures tweeted that you thought were funny at the time but really make you look rather like a drunkard/promiscuous wench/animal abuser/downright weird person --they're all out there for anyone to stumble upon. Anyone who does, will undoubtedly form an opinion.

So do you feel your online profiles are a good representation of you as a person? Would you mind an employer you would like to work for, to go looking through your social networking profiles? How about having them police your personal profiles once you work for them?

Who really decides where the line is drawn between work and private matters?

4 comments:

  1. My boss follows me on Twitter and I have a couple co-workers that are friends on Facebook so I just don't talk or rant about work on either of those sites. But I don't think there's anything out there I wouldn't want a potential employer to see on my Twitter. My Facebook is Friends Only. I try to remember that Twitter is seen by EVERYONE and that some of the people on my Facebook have different values and don't want to offend anyone.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's because you're crazy nice, Kim! ;)

    I think it's awesome that you are close enough with your boss and co-workers that you don't mind them following you on Twitter! Do you think there would be any sort of consequences though, if they'd catch you talking about work/people you work with in a negative way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm kind of the opposite Kim. I Facebook has more "everyone" content. I have colleagues on there and recently, after having a little rant, had to go back and delete a few things before they got me in trouble. They weren't bad things but they were things that might get me in some hot water.
    I do know of someone who has been taken into HR over things said online.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you got the crazy part right Tam....lol

    Hmmmm as to consequences....I supposed it would depend on what I actually said. I mean if I just went off on a nasty name calling rant someone might say something; we only have 9 employees so it would be pretty easy to know who I was talking about.

    But really I don't think anything would be said if I just said co-workers were driving me crazy or something pretty harmless. lol

    I know what you mean Libby...work takes a bigger interest in what you do nowadays when you're not on their time. I guess it's just waht you have to deal with when you're always "connected"....

    ReplyDelete